Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Resurrected

February. Really? I had a show, I moved, I worked 6 jobs, blah-blah…my actual life overtook my virtual one. But now, I am free. Mostly.

In keeping with the spirit of this silly thing, I will use an experience from my theatrical life to wax…didactic. But before I do, I’d like to throw the gauntlet down to my 3 readers (Hi Mom!). At the conclusion of each performance of my show, we had a small dessert reception (or SweetTalk, as we liked to say). During the reception, I would ask the people I didn’t know three questions. I will write my (rather lengthy) responses to these questions in my next entry, but I thought I might take this opportunity to ask you first. Are you ready for this?

1. What brings you out to the theatre? How do you find out what’s playing and how do you decide what to see?

2. Do you go to the theatre often? If so, who do you like in town and why? If not, what do you do for fun?

3. What do you feel Boston is missing? What have you seen other places or not seen at all that you would like to see in town?

PS. I feel the need to expand on my introduction with a small post-script. I am slow, especially as compared to the interwebs. I have yet to reconcile is the immediacy of the web with my desire to my thoughtful (I know what you are thinking – watch it!). Blogs really lend themselves to almost a garbage-dump of information and opinions. I am reluctant to just dump my often offensive and thoughtless remarks in so public a forum. Hence, why I am often delayed. I take a while with this thing. Seriously. Too long? Sure. I’m working on it. I’m going to yet again, attempt a more regular updating strategy, but I also don’t want to write just any old crap. I’d like to reserve this bit of cyberspace for when I actually have something on my mind. Is the internet removing our ability to be slow/thoughtful creatures or will the next generation just be quicker on its feet?

2 comments:

Jack Rizutko said...

I may not be a great respondant, having transplanted out of town, but what the heck.

1. What brings you out to the theatre? How do you find out what’s playing and how do you decide what to see?

I follow my wife in most circumstances. In terms of boston theater these days, I make dedicated trips specifically to see productions involving close friends.

2. Do you go to the theatre often? If so, who do you like in town and why? If not, what do you do for fun?

A couple of times a month, on average. In Boston, I was most interested in small companies working hard to do smart creative theater, finding the more established groups to lack real artistry.

3. What do you feel Boston is missing? What have you seen other places or not seen at all that you would like to see in town?

What I really feel is missing in Boston theater is a desire for excellence at the top. I was always very bored with the theater that came out of the longer tenured companies in Boston, and was ashamed for how celebrated they were. I never felt it reflected the quality of theater going on in Boston below the surface.

Anonymous said...

1. What brings you out to the theatre? How do you find out what’s playing and how do you decide what to see?

- I'm a theatreperson, I see theatre when I can, there is no substitute for good live performance and storytelling. I look online for what is playing, and decide by... reviews? or what looks interesting... and what is affordable.

2. Do you go to the theatre often? If so, who do you like in town and why? If not, what do you do for fun?

I don't go to the theatre often because of ticket prices, us in the lower income bracket are sometimes SLO for culture. I'm new to Boston so I can't give you any specific companies I like here... but I will soon

3. What do you feel Boston is missing? What have you seen other places or not seen at all that you would like to see in town?

as I said, new to boston... :)